A recent non-scientific poll done by Jeremy Victor, which he published on SmartBlog is titled “Are you clueless when it comes to integrating social into your website?.”
He reports as results:
- 42.86%: “Our website has “Follow/Fan Us” links to our social presences but with no strategy”
- 22.08%: “There is no integration between our website and our social presence”
- 18.18%: “Our website is a fully integrated component of our social activity, with the goal being to bring users from the social site”
- 12.99%: “Our website displays activity from our social presence and has Follow/Fan Us links”
- 3.90%: “Our website has “Follow/Fan Us” links that encourage users to promote our brand after following”
- 43% of those who responded are clueless
- 22% of those who responded are confused
- 22% have no integration between their website and social presence
This supports my earlier pondering that Social Media will start a development that will profoundly change the way we will do business in the future and by doing so will profoundly change our organisations.
- Access the issue of Social Media strategically. That means involvement of top management and the board. Secure their continued support
- Understand what the strategic implications of Social Media will be and look at sustainability of these efforts in your organisation
- Discuss how you want to change from an information push model to a dialogue model with your customers; assign the tasks to real people (coworkers)
- Understand how to listen to your customers and how to turn their feedback into opportunities
- Establish reputation management in your organisation
- Set goals and objectives on what you want to achieve with Social Media and make it measurable
- Select a smaller size but business relevant project to get started
You can use the Social Media Questionnaire to get a first impression of your maturity in these issues. Contact me if your want to discuss your own situation in more detail.
What is your take on this?
- 5 Reasons Why Ignoring Negative Social Media is a Career Ender for a VP of Customer Service (Paul Kiser’s Blog)
- How to use social media marketing for your business (marketing.yell.com)
- Be social: Do you really need a social media manager? (marketing.yell.com)
- Be social: Why does your business need social media? (marketing.yell.com)
- I Don’t Have a Social Media Strategy (coydavidson.wordpress.com)
- Six Tips for Small Businesses Using Social Media (stayonsearch.com)
- Has social media for business hit the mainstream?
- 5 reasons why market research comes before social media
- Why social-media marketing isn’t really for everyone