Usually I don’t write about products. But today I’ll make an exception: In today’s Spiegel Online was an article on an interesting US-Swiss Cooperation. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) worked with the Swiss company MTB Cycletech. The result of the cooperation is a e-Bicycle called e-Jalopy Greenwheel.
There are several interesting features on that bicycle:
- Internet and Social Media integration through a smartphone
- Sensors integrated in the handlebar for carbon monoxide, respirable dust, and pollen
- Routing optimized for low traffic, pollution, uphill grade
- Detection of friends on their bikes in the surrounding
- Feedback of road condition, pot holes etc. to the city’s highway department
- Competition with other bikers
- Information for rider on gasoline and cost saved
- Hub drive with a hub integrated 36V, 5Ah Lithium-Battery
- Electric motor inside the hub with 250 W and a torque of 30 Nm
The electro-bicycle will ship in 2012 and the price quoted in the article is EUR 3050.-
Make sure to wear a helmet when accepting friendship requests from nearby riders.
- Mein Fahrrad hat jetzt Internet (Spiegel Online)