“Ultrasound is good for more than monitoring fetuses and identifying heart defects. According to engineers in Canada, it can help tell what people are thinking as well.
This is an interesting new route to get closer to the information processing that is happening in our brain.
So far most experiments focused on electrical brain activity measurements. And the results have been promising. But this new approach opens many more possibilities (and involves fewer cables).
Who knows how long we will still be using keyboards and mice. We might be able to page through an article on the iPad with the mere touch of a thought.
Listen carefully to the high-pitch noise from the person next to you. Maybe he is ordering a pizza online by just imagining the crunchy crust and the succulent toppings.
- Ultrasound for Mind Reading (spectrum.ieee.org)
- Mind Control Secrets – news
- DARPA Wants to Install Transcranial Ultrasonic Mind Control Devices in Soldiers’ Helmets
- Technology – NeuroVigil iBrain mind-reading tech is big business
- Sound Waves For Brain Waves – IEEE Spectrum
- A Brain-Computer Interface Based on Bilateral Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound