From an article in today’s Basler Zeitung:
Backdoor.Flashback.39 is said to be the most dangerous malware that has been developed for the Mac. It turns your machine into a botnet node becoming remote controllable. Most likely purpose will be sending of spam from your machine but it could also involve other activities.
The trojan has so far surfaced mostly in the US (300.000 infected Macs), Canada (90.000) and UK (50.000). But to be on the safe side visit the Kapersky Lab Site http://www.flashbackcheck.com/
- Flashback trojan infected 2% of all Macs, Kapersky confirms botnet size (slashgear.com)
- How to determine if Your Mac Desktop is Infected by Flashback Trojan (beast4romtheeast.wordpress.com)
- Flashback trojan reportedly controls half a million Macs and counting (89lp63.wordpress.com)
- Apple is working on its own Flashback malware removal tool (slashgear.com)
- Flashback trojan reportedly controls half a million Macs and counting (kidneynotes.com)
- Mac Flashback Trojan is not a virus (product-reviews.net)
- Are you vulnerable to Flashfake Mac OS X Botnet Trojan Attack? (crazzycool.blogspot.com)
- BIG MAC ATTACK! iTrojan known as FLASHBACK infects MACS Worldwide! (dave-lucas.blogspot.com)
- How to Check If You Are Infected With the Flashback Trojan (technocraz.com)
Pingback: What is Malware? | Bach Seat
Bach, thanks for the link and your comprehensive explanation of malware.