Usually I don’t promote companies or products. But this is too good to let pass.
RT from TechCast.org: From the Yahoo Auto Blog (By Justin Hyde | Motoramic):
In a promotion for its first production fuel-cell vehicle in Germany, Mercedes-Benz turned a B-Class hatchback invisible — at least, from a distance, using the same idea behind the invisible car in the James Bond film “Die Another Day.” See if you can see it before it sees you.
The invisibility cloak had its tryout this week on the streets of Stuttgart, Germany. To make Q’s idea of an invisible car real, Mercedes employed dozens of technicians and some $263,000 worth of flexible LED mats covering one side of the car. Using a camera mounted on the opposite side of the vehicle, the LEDs were programmed to reproduce the image from the camera at the right scale, blending the vehicle into the background from a few feet away. Doing so required power sources, computers and other gear totaling 1,100 lbs. of equipment inside the B-Class.
Mercedes’ point was to show how the F-Cell hydrogen fuel cell powered car would be invisible to the environment, producing only water vapor and heat for emissions. For an invisible car, it’s getting a lot of stares.
Maybe one day this will be embedded into our outer clothing and we can become (almost) invisible. Which other uses of this technology do you foresee?
- Invisible Mercedes [Video] (aboutcolonblank.com)
- Ad of the Day: Mercedes-Benz (adweek.com)
- Mercedes-Benz Goes Invisible! (ridelust.com)
- This Invisible Car is Real (foxnews.com)
- Have You Seen Mercedes-Benz New Invisible Car? (interesting12.wordpress.com)
- Invisible Car?: Mercedes Mods F-Cell With Real Cloaking Abilities (cybergeekrepublic.wordpress.com)
- I Can Still See It — I Can Still See It!: Mercedes-Benz Makes ‘Invisible’ Van To Advertise New Fuel Cell Cars (geekologie.com)
- Automobilwoche : Unsichtbarer Mercedes rollt durch Hamburg
- Tarnkappe an Bord: Mercedes schickt unsichtbares Auto durch …